Leakproofing (Concrete) Water Tanks from Outside
Concrete water tanks may be exposed to moisture, and even leakage problems in time due to weak, or deteriorated insulation, steady water pressure from inside the tank or capillary cracking in the concrete.
Although it is healthier to waterproof from inside, it may not always be possible due to factors such as expensive surface coatings or impossibility of evacuating the water found inside the tank. In this case the problem can be perfectly solved by applying Permo Chim Crystal from outside, which is a waterproofing material resistant to negative water pressure.
The surface to be treated must be clean and solid, and free from water repellent materials such as grease, rust, cement foam, paint residues, curing materials, release agent and silicon.
The surface must be saturated with plenty of water and kept damp all through the application. Permo Chim Crystal is poured into a clean container, and mixed with 10 liters of water for brushing or 7 liters of water for trowelling until a homogenous mixture is obtained (for approximately 3 minutes with a low speed mixer). You should add water to Permo Chim Crystal; never vice versa. Water must be added gradually, not all at once.
- The mixture must be consumed within 30-40 minutes. It is not possible to recover the mixture by adding water once it is solidified.
- Permo-Chim Crystal is applied in two coats by using a brush, roller or trowel. Each coat must be applied as the former coat starts to solidify, and before it dries up. Each coat must be applied at right angle to the application of the former coat.
- Cracks and vertical/horizontal seams must be reinforced with materials such as seam tape, plaster mesh, etc.
- After the application of the last coat the surface is levelled with a soft damp sponge.
- After the application it is critical to prevent Permo Chim Crystal from drying fast, it must be kept damp for 5–7 days. This can be achieved by laying a damp sack cloth, plastic, etc. and damping the concrete. Permo Chim Crystal must be protected from sun, freeze, wind and other undesirable weather conditions during the curing period.
- If paint will be applied onto Permo Chim Crystal, first it must be coated with Emulzer Permo Stop added plaster when it is still wet, and then the paint must be applied onto this plaster layer. And if ceramic or faience will be applied, a faience adhesive should be applied directly onto newly applied Permo Chim Crystal.
- After having cured, crystals on the surface must be wiped off with Emulzer Lime and Salt Remover, the surface must be plastered, and the coating must be applied onto this plaster layer